In this tip, I share strategies to open the door with decision makers. Depending on your sell cycles and deal complexity, you may need to adjust how you apply these ideas.
- Select focus verticals to accelerate. Think of it as selecting a “major” and perhaps a “minor.” Gaining traction in one or two key verticals provides the runway to then spin off into other verticals if you choose.
- Create and prioritize target prospects. You might prioritize them on attributes like value to your business, value to you personally, growth potential, geography, diversification of services, strength of relationships, and trigger events affecting them. Sell cycle can also play an important role.
- Your conversion metrics will begin with strategies like earning a first meeting, progressing a relationship for more introductions into the prospect, or perhaps specific opportunities identified.
Sales Prospecting Strategies to Open Doors
- Triggering events are anything that can cause a significant change to the prospect’s or client’s business – it signifies a time sensitive need for you to connect.
- Strategic partners and centers of influence are go-to groups for accelerating prospecting efforts, whether it’s a new prospect or an existing client. They can be inside or outside of the prospect’s organization.
- If your organization creates thought leadership pieces, or if you create them yourself, this strategy is ideal. The pieces can be sent to prospects with specific follow-up, before or after a first meeting, or as an ongoing keep in touch strategy.
- Forums, with the goal of providing content, conversation, and a network. This is not a sales pitch. This strategy can work very well in person, or adapted virtually in light of current world events.
Even though we are experiencing extreme disruption in the current environment, smart sales prospecting strategies can help you break through.